Learning the basics of Blackjack
Blackjack is a game that can lead to many fun bets and evenings with friends and family. However, for many, the name “Blackjack” is just a word they hear from time to time, but haven’t actually tried the game since they do not know the basics of the game. After reading this article, you will learn the basic rules and strategies to get you started!
What is the goal of blackjack?
The overall goal of the card game is quite simple. When playing Blackjack, you will be attempting to beat the dealer’s hand without exceeding the number 21.
What are some rules I should know?
Before we get into the game strategies, it is important for you to be familiar with some of the basic rules that every Blackjack player must respect, here is a list of them:
- Face cards have a value of 10.
- Each player starts the game with only 2 cards.
- The term “hit” refers to requesting another card
- If your cards exceed 21, the dealer wins automatically.
- If on the first deal you are dealt an ace and a 10 or face card, you automatically win.
- Depending on the casino, you typically win 1.5x your bet should you win the game.
What are some strategies I should consider?
Now that you are familiar with the basic Blackjack rules, it’s time to learn blackjack strategies that will hopefully help you win the game and even some money.
- Think about the odds. When deciding if you want to hit, ask yourself if it is more likely to go over 21 or to still be under but closer. At the same time, 17 might not be good enough to beat the dealer.
- Remember that the dealer can also be above you. Always aim for the high-teens!
- Analyse the dealer’s reaction to their cards. Doing this might help you find hints of where the dealer is sitting number-wise.
Some of the most asked questions
Now that you have learned the rules and a few strategies to help you, it is likely that you still have a few questions which we hope to answer in this section. Below are some of the most popular questions for Blackjack beginners (like you).
How many players can play Blackjack?
Blackjack can be played and is often played with only 2 players. However, you can play with up to 7 players (recommended maximum).
How many cards / decks do I need for a game?
Depending on how many players you are playing with, you will need as little as 1 deck and perhaps 6 or 7 decks for larger games.
Now that you have further Blackjack knowledge, you are ready to become an official Blackjack player. Keep in mind that you will gain experience and develop your own strategies and methods to winning games the more you play. Just like anything else, practice makes perfect and once you have more skills, you can increase your bets and win even more. Good luck with your Blackjack career!