How to Choose a Travel Nursing Company to Register with
If you have a nursing degree or you have completed an rn-bsn-msn online program and you would like to see more of the world, then travel nursing may be right for you. A quick internet search will reveal hundreds of different travel nursing companies, which means that you have to exert due diligence in terms of choosing which one to register with. There should be full transparency about the recruitment process and the contract that will be offered to you. So what are some of the things that you should look for when you decide to register as a travel nurse?
Hallmarks of a Good Travel Nursing Agency
- They should have a website that is properly designed and easy to navigate. High quality website design shows dedication and commitment to being open and transparent. If an agency is unwilling to invest in the skills of a website designer, then they are unlikely to want to invest in their nurses either.
- They should understand the profession of nursing. As a travel nurse, you have a particularly difficult job and you need your agency to understand that. An agency that was started by previous nurses would be best. This is also true because they will be better able to understand how to negotiate with your assignments and to understand difficulties you may come across.
- They should offer excellent benefits, and a very good salary. Nurses are in huge demand, which means you can use that to your advantage when it comes to your negotiating powers. If you feel that you will not get paid what you deserve to get paid, then you should try a different travel nursing company. Of course, you do have to be realistic as well.
- They should provide you with great perks to attract you to their books. For instance, many travel nursing companies offer bonuses, luxury accommodation, higher amounts of money for food, business class flights, referral bonuses, and so on.
- You should feel like you are being listened to. The agency’s staff should have excellent listening and communication skills. They should be understanding of any concerns you have, be they about the impact of your role on your personal life, or about the assignment that you are being sent to. Remember that the demand for nurses is one of the highest for all professions in this country, which means you are in a position of tremendous strength.
There are a few other things that you should consider doing, not in the least speaking to your friends and colleagues about the agencies that they know and recommend, or advise you against. Do also use social media to see some independent reviews on how the agencies operate. Once you have decided to become a travel nurse, a very interesting, varied, diverse, and lucrative career awaits you. However, you will also have a lot of uncertainty, because you never know where you will go next. Hence, you need to trust an agency that will basically manage your life for the foreseeable future.