Reaching a Fair Settlement: Hire a Personal Injury Attorney or Handle it Myself?
A personal injury is defined as any mental or physical injury that is the result of a harmful act or negligence resulting from accidents including:
- Car accidents
- Brain injuries
- Defective products
- Airplane crashes
- Wrongful death
- Home accidents
- Car accidents
Accidents happen all the time, and that is why they are called “accidents”. However, being commonplace does not detract from the confusion and pain resulting from an accident. There are steps you can take to protect your legal rights if you suffer harm and someone else might be legally responsible for that harm.
There are more than 268 million vehicles registered with as many as 70 million on the road at one time, it is therefore not surprising that accidents often occur. Thankfully not all accidents cause major physical injury or death, but you still want to make sure you receive the settlement you are entitled to receive. A Los Angeles personal injury lawyer with the background, legal knowledge, and commitment to pursuing justice, is driven to get results on behalf of injury victims and their families.
While you can file a personal injury claim with an insurance company by yourself, it might be in your best interest to hire an attorney, especially for more severe injuries. A personal injury attorney:
- Has the experience, knowledge, and track record of going up against the big auto insurance companies.
- Will not feel pressured or confused by insurance company’s tactics to settle
- Already knows personal injury and procedural laws
- Can effectively handle all the legal legwork for you
- Will be your advocate and work to get you the best settlement possible
If you are involved in a car accident that isn’t your fault, you can file a property or personal injury damage claim. Initial settlements offered by car insurance companies may be lower than what you think you should receive.
You should be prepared with the following information to try to get the fairest deal:
- A copy of the police report
- All medical-related expenses that are a result of the accident
- List of expenses for repairs and any property damage
- Evidence and photos collected at the scene of the accident
- Notes you have taken on doctor’s visits, limitations from any injuries you sustained, and your pain level
Because getting a fair settlement is not easy, hiring a personal attorney can be very helpful especially when:
- You are not happy with the settlement offered by the car insurance company
- The insurance adjuster is pressuring you to settle quickly
- Your case is taking too long
Slip and Fall
It is the responsibility of all property owners to make sure their property is safe and may be held liable for failure to keep their premises safe should someone get hurt. This includes personal, business, and governmental properties.
Slip and fall accidents might be caused by a wet and slippery floor, an obstruction or debris, or other hazardous conditions. The factors considered when determining the outcome of a slip and fall case are:
- Who owns the property where the injury occurred and is ultimately liable?
- Did the liable party do anything to contribute to the accident or was negligence involved?
- Was the injured person doing anything that contributed to or even caused the accident?
Any settlement will take into consideration liability and negligence, as well as the severity of the injury. If you fall in a public place or at work, the business or your employer might be liable. If you fall on someone else’s property, the property owner would be the one responsible for any settlement should it be determined that your claim is valid. If compensation is awarded, it is for attorney fees, medical bills, and pain and suffering. Insurance companies are notorious for being aggressive and tough negotiators. Hiring an experienced personal injury attorney can help you recover maximum compensation for your injuries.
There is nothing worse in life than losing a loved one and no amount of money can take away your pain. However, receiving compensation for your loss can help with any financial burden you are faced with after your loss.
If the loss is due to the negligence or recklessness of someone else, it is even more tragic. Hiring a wrongful death attorney can provide you with advice and support to make important decisions during a time when you are in emotional pain, angry, and confused. Some of the advantages of hiring an attorney include:
- After suffering the loss of a loved one, you are in emotional pain and in mourning. An attorney is not and is, therefore, better able to think clearly and argue effectively on your behalf
- Before filing a claim for wrongful death, there will be an investigation into the case. An experienced attorney will have the expertise to debate the case in court, knows how to behave in front of a jury, and understands court etiquette.
- Filing a negligence case is complex and requires that the correct papers be filed at the right time. An attorney has the necessary experience to get this step of the process done correctly.
After losing a loved one, you are going to experience a wide range of emotions and will also feel overwhelmed. In the case of wrongful death, you are not only receiving financial compensation for your loss, you are also holding the responsible party liable and preventing them from hurting anyone else. Hiring a wrongful death attorney will have the experience, resources, and the ability to fight for your rights when you are unable to handle it emotionally.
In addition to the physical and emotional pain you might experience after an accident, injuries also cost money in the form of medical bills, the time you are unable to work, and other complications. If you are not sure your case is a valid one, or if you are not sure you can win a case, contact a personal injury attorney to help guide you, answer your questions, and give you the necessary support you need.